The Website presents information and content that is owned, licensed, or provided by AltaVista Research, LLC. (together with its affiliates, "AltaVista"). The Site may also include services and information provided by third parties and distributed through the Site by virtue of a license, grant or some other form of agreement between the third party and AltaVista. When used in these Terms and Conditions, "we" and "our" mean AltaVista.
Visiting Our Website
You can browse our Website without providing any personal or individually identifiable information (collectively, "personal information"). You also may be able to set your browser to reject cookies. If you do that, the Website may be less functional for you.
There are times when you may choose to give us personal information about you. For example, you may wish to register, subscribe, post entries on the Website, receive e-mails from the Website, AltaVista, and their affiliates, receive invitations to participate in surveys, or to purchase goods and services available through the Website. We need certain information from you to register you, authenticate you, and process your entries and payments.
Kinds of Information We Collect
We collect information that you voluntarily give us, as well as Site Visitorship Data, on the Website
In order to utilize certain features of the Website, you may be asked to provide personal information such as your e-mail address, name, mailing address, telephone number, credit card number or persistent identifier (such as a customer number held in a cookie) which is associated with personal information, as well as other information, which you may provide voluntarily. We may collect such personal information that you give us in order to:
- provide information about the Website and AltaVista;
- notify you about new features available on the Site;
- tell you about products and services, and provide information from us and our third party marketing partners;
- respond to your requests for information;
- process survey results and contest entries;
- process online purchases and payments you request;
- filter the products and services we provide;
- authenticate registered customers; and
- post your comments.
By providing any personal information to the Website, you fully understand and unambiguously consent to the collection and processing of such information in the United States of America.
Site Visitorship Data
Site Visitorship Data is information about the way a website is used that is not associated with an individual's identity. We may use aggregate anonymous data regarding online behavior to better understand how people use our Website. To that end, we may use aggregated, anonymous online traffic behavior to track usage trends and thereby improve our Website. We may also use this aggregated, anonymous information to develop reports that we may share with third-party marketing partners and customers. The kind of information we collect includes:
- the pages visited on our Site;
- the features used;
- the IP address from which visitors' traffic originates;
- how long a visitor stays; and
- the domain name of the Site from which visitors connect to our Website and the site to which visitors connect through our service.
Most Site Visitorship Data is collected using cookies or pixel tags. We may use Site Visitorship Data to develop, manage, and improve the Website. Sometimes we may aggregate Site Visitorship Data with personal information from registered customers. We may use that information to:
- manage the Website
- help resolve problems
- analyze use of the Site
- tell you about products or services we and our third party market partners and customers offer.
We may require the use of encryption technologies for certain types of communications conducted through the Website. While we may provide those technologies and use other reasonable precautions to protect confidential information and provide suitable security, we do not guarantee that information transmitted through the Internet is secure, or that such transmissions will be free from delay, interruption, interception or error.
Disclosure of Information
AltaVista will not release any personal information to third parties except as follows:
(1) Anyone providing us their personal information grants AltaVista, the Website and its affiliates, the right to use their information internally without restrictions for the purposes of, but not limited to, research, marketing, and content and lead development.
(2) AltaVista and the Website may share information we collect with our third party marketing partners. If we do so, we will request that they treat this information in accordance with our privacy promises and to refrain from disclosing or using your personal information for purposes other than for the provision of services to you or for the benefit of the Website. Our third party marketing partners may also send you special promotions and offers for related services, at their sole discretion.
(3) Neither AltaVista nor the Website is responsible for the protection of the information you provide to other websites. You should be aware that when you voluntarily disclose personal information on other Website, such information can be collected and used by others and may result in unsolicited communications.
(4) We may disclose information collected on the Site, including personal information, to third parties as required or permitted by law. For example, we may disclose information:
- to regulators,
- to law enforcement authorities who subpoena it,
- to vendors who provide us with services,
- to our professional advisors, or
- to companies that may consider acquiring securities or assets of AltaVista or whose securities or assets we may consider acquiring.
Hyperlinks and Referrals
From time to time, the Website and users of the Website may provide links to unrelated third-party website as well as links to website owned and operated by entities with which we have contractual relationships. We may also permit third parties to link to our Website. Links to or from any third-party site, whether provided by us or not, do not imply any endorsement, approval, or verification by us of any content available on or the policies of such third-party site. We do not, even periodically, review these third-party site and we are not responsible or liable for their availability, the services they may provide, or the completeness of their content. By providing access to other website, we are not recommending the purchase or sale of products or services provided via such linked site. Subject to the terms of applicable service or other agreements, we will remove any link from the Website upon request from the owner of the linked site.
You must be at least 18 years old to use the Website. We do not knowingly collect or distribute personal information from persons under the age of 18. If you are the parent or guardian of a minor under 18 years of age and believe that they have disclosed personal information to us, please contact us by e-mail so that we may delete the minor's information.
You can learn more about children's privacy and the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) at the Federal Trade Commission's Website.
It is important for us to know what visitors have to say about our Website. To contact us with your questions or comments please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org